PRIVACY STATEMENT FOR WEST GIPPSLAND BUSHWALKERS INC
The Privacy Data and Protection Act 2014 (Vic) and the Health Records Act 2001 (Vic) regulates the way in which West Gippsland Bushwalkers handles members information.
West Gippsland Bushwalkers is committed to protecting your information. This Privacy Statement provides information about how West Gippsland Bushwalkers may collect, hold and use your information.
When used in this Statement, “we”, “our” and us refer to West Gippsland Bushwalkers Inc.
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
We collect information to facilitate your membership with us.
The information collected and held about you will vary depending on the circumstances of collection and may include, but is not limited to, as follows:
•Your name, date of birth, telephone/contact numbers, email.
• Information about your dealings with West Gippsland Bushwalkers and use of our membership.
•Details of programs/activities/walks you have participated in.
• Other information provided voluntarily by you, for example in response to surveys.
If you do not provide us with some or all the information that we request, then this may affect our ability to communicate with you.
We take all reasonable steps to ensure that the information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up to date. If you find that the information, we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, please contact us.
Where it is necessary to prevent serious and imminent harm or to provide emergency care, we will collect health information.
If you do not wish us to collect certain information about you, you need to advise us, and we will discuss with you any consequences this may have.
HOW DO WE COLLECT YOUR INFORMATION?
We collect information directly from you, for example when you provide information to us by phone, email, in an application form, risk waiver forms or submit information through or access our website.
Note: Members are required to carry their own health information and emergency contact details in their backpacks. This information is not collected by our Club.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR INFORMATION?
West Gippsland Bushwalkers may use your information to:
• Run, administer and market programs, activities and other events relating to bushwalking, e.g. use photos on our web site or in newspapers; email out walk programs with walk leaders contact details included.
• To dispatch an ambulance in an emergency. Health information is only accessed in the event of a medical emergency and the member themselves is incapable of relaying any necessary information to emergency services personnel.
• Keep you informed of news and information (such as advance notice of events or programs) relating to bushwalking, including by distributing newsletters, publications and other communication via various mediums.
In addition, we may use de-identified information to plan events and activities or to prepare submissions to government or a government body. De-identified information is information which has been aggregated or otherwise de-identified so that it cannot be used to identify you or any other individual.
WHEN DO WE DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION?
We may disclose your information to: • our insurers, • our affiliated clubs, • Bush Search and Rescue (BSAR) and Bushwalking Tracks and Conservation (BTAC) standing committees, • with your express consent; • when required or authorised by law; • to an enforcement body or emergency service provider when reasonably necessary; or • to lessen or prevent a threat to an individual or public health or safety.
We do not, sell or trade your information with third parties unless we have your permission to do so or are required by law.
HOW CAN YOU ACCESS THE INFORMATION WE HOLD ABOUT YOU?
You have the right to access your information.
For security purposes, if you would like to access information that we hold about you, please send an email to email@example.com
INFORMATION STORAGE AND PROTECTION
We store information in different ways, including in paper and electronic form. When your information is provided to us, the information may be combined or linked with other information held about you.
Security of your information is important to us. We have taken steps to protect the information we hold from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Some of the security measures we use include
• not collecting or holding unnecessary information on members e.g. postal addresses,
• requiring members to carry their own health and emergency contact details rather than being held by the Club
• not publishing members information on the web,
• implementing security measures for system access and our website
• hard copy material is filed in a secure area.
OPT-OUT / UNSUBSCRIBE
Members are removed from our contact lists if a membership isn’t renewed or if a member requests to be removed.
If you would like to access information that we hold about you or have any questions in relation to this Statement please contact:
The Secretary West Gippsland Bushwalkers Inc
Mail: PO Box 1134, Warragul Victoria, 3820
CHANGES TO THE PRIVACY STATEMENT
From time to time, we may need to update this Statement to reflect any changes in law or our organizations practices. We will notify you of any amendments by posting an updated version on our website www.westgippslandbushwalkingclub.org.au